How do I work?
I offer 50 minute sessions, and they are your time and space for us to work collaboratively so you can find the best way for you to work through whatever difficulties you are struggling with.
Short term work / Long term work.
I offer open-ended counselling, so it is up to you how many sessions you would like to have. I would suggest haveing a minimum of six in mind, as it can take some time to build up our relationship and trust and for you to fully receive the benefits of our sessions. You may not know at the outset how many sessions you want and we can continue to discuss this along the way.
Short term work is beneficial for those who are after some support for a particular present issue or life crisis. You may be needing some support with grief, a problem at work, a relationship or feeling stuck and unable to know which way to go forward. It may help you get back on track and can help deal with problems before they become too large to handle. You may feel you need to explore what is going on for you with someone independent to your own family and friends.
- We will explore the issue, develop insights and strategies and identifying practical steps for change.
- We will work to build a relationship of trust between ourselves in which you will feel heard and supported.
- We will end with a summary and a review so you know what progress you are making.
- The 8 week focus keeps the responsibility with you for deciding how much counselling is needed and the regular six week reviews make sure that we both keep focused on the issues important to you.
Longer term Counselling
Eight sessions may be enough to empower you to make the changes you want or you have the choice to carry on with further counselling sessions. Sometimes people find that once they have started to address one issue, they become aware of other issues lurking beneath the surface and they wish to dig deeper. For some people, knowing they have my support weekly for a longer period time is what they need in order to make the significant changes they may need to make. The choice is yours and we can reflect between us whether you wish to continue with further sessions.
I live and work in Brighton and Hove, attend regular supervision and have professional liability insurance. I am registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy , and work within their ethical framework for good practice.
I have experience in both private practice and in various different settings. They include:
- Working for Winston’s Wish, a charity specialising in offering bereavement support for young people and families suffering the loss of a parent.
- Working for the NHS at the Brighton Women’s Centre, where Counselling and Psychotherapy is provided to women with mental health difficulties.
- Facilitating the Personal Development groups for the Post-Graduate Humanistic Psychotherapy Students at Brighton University.
- Working as a Counsellor for women affected by sexual violence for Rape Crisis.
- Working with young people of both genders, aged 16-26 at the Youth Advisory Centre in Hove.
- Running groups with women at the Oasis Project in Brighton who have issues around drug and alcohol use.
- Training with Cruse Bereavement Care and support those bereaved by death to understand their grief and cope with their loss.
- Private practice offering adult counselling/psychotherapy to both men and women.
People may seek counselling for all sorts of reasons. Here are some of the areas in which I have experience working with people:
Training and Qualifications
- Postgraduate diploma in Humanistic Counselling from Brighton University.
- Female Empowerment Model – working with Sexual abuse and violence. 2017.
- CBT with a heart. December 2016.
- Heartswork Certificate in Couples Counselling. December 2016.
- Heartswork Certificate in Group work 2015
- Cruse Certificate in Bereavement Counselling (Cruse Bereavement Care)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills.
- Understanding Autism Spectrum Conditions (Rachel Lowden 2014)
- Boarding School Syndrome. Joy Shraverein. May 2016.